This course provides an introduction to collections data management for botanic garden professionals. We will look at the link between collections policy and collections data management, understand the importance of recording and maintaining collections data, which fields are important for storing collections data and different ways to do it and finally know why and how data should be shared with other institutions.
This introductory course is free to BGCI members and will take approximately three hours to complete.
By the end of this module you will:
- Understand the link between collections policy and collection data management
- Understand the importance of recording and maintaining collections data
- Recognise which data should be held and why
- Be familiar with the different ways this data can be stored, presented and kept up-to-date
- Be able to understand which fields are important for storing collections data
- Know how and why data should be shared with other institutions (share your data on PlantSearch)
Length: 3 hours
Access for BGCI members: Please use the enrolment key which can be found in the SheepApp or contact BGCI). Click on the course title to begin.
Access for non BGCI members: Please contact BGCI for more information